Happy Tuesday!! A common question potential home buyers and homeowners have is, “How do I know when I need a new roof?” This week’s blog I’ve listed some tell-tale signs to help you make that determination. A roof has a lifespan of about 20 years, but sometimes your roof can reach the end of its useful life without experiencing a roof failure. If delayed, you could cause yourself a bigger headache and bigger expenses down the road, so be sure to check these warning signs so you can budget and plan accordingly.
Potential signs that your roof may need to be replaced:
- Shingle edges are curled or single tabs are cupped.
- Bald spots where granules are missing. After a heavy rain, you may notice roof granules, particles or pieces in your gutters, that is another good sign that your roof may need replacing.
- Cracked shingles.
- Your roof is older than 20 years.
- The roof looks old and worn. Most home developments are built around the same time. If you notice that your neighbors are getting new roofs, that could be a tell tale sign that yours may need replacing as well.
- Moss can grow on roof surfaces that don’t get much sunlight, especially in cool, moist climates. Moss growth can be more than a cosmetic issue. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing climates can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it won’t prevent it from growing again; take care not to damage the shingle surface. You may need to contact a professional roofing contractor.
- Leaks in your attic or ceiling.
If you notice any of these issues, I would suggest that you consult with a roofing professional. Many times they can provide you with a roof inspection free of charge. Good luck and hope everyone is having a wonderful week!!
At Berenz Home Inspections 360° we carefully inspect the interior and exterior of your home. With every home inspection, we inspect and include a wood destroying insect report at no additional charge. I invite you to visit our website to see all the services we cover.
Berenz Home Inspections 360° is New York State licensed and insured. We offer competitive rates, quality service and provide same day reporting. We are proudly serving all of Nassau and Suffolk counties, so call us today to see why we are becoming one of the leading home inspectors on Long Island!!