Happy Thursday, it’s June 27!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful week and keeping cool.
Did you know that maintaining your septic system protects your investment in your home?
Did you know that you should periodically inspect your system and pump out your septic tank? If properly designed, constructed and maintained, your septic system can provide long-term, effective treatment of household wastewater. If your septic system isn’t maintained, you might need to replace it, costing you thousands of dollars. A malfunctioning system can contaminate groundwater that might be a source of drinking water. And if you sell your home, your septic system must be in good working order.
Ten simple steps you can take to keep your septic system working properly:
- Locate your septic tank and drainfield. Keep a drawing of these locations in your records.
- Have your septic system inspected at least every three years. Hire an inspector trained in septic inspections.
- Pump your septic tank as needed (generally, every three to five years).
- Don’t dispose of household hazardous waste in sinks or toilets.
- Keep other household items, such as dental floss, feminine hygiene products, condoms, diapers, and cat litter out of your system.
- Use water efficiently.
- Plant only grass over and near your septic system. Roots from nearby trees or shrubs might clog and damage the system. Also, do not apply manure or fertilizers over the drainfield.
- Keep vehicles and livestock off your septic system. The weight can damage the pipes and tank, and your system may not drain properly under compacted soil.
- Keep gutters and basement sump pumps from draining into or near your septic system.
- Check with your local health department before using additives. Commercial septic tank additives do not eliminate the need for periodic pumping and can be harmful to your system.
In keeping all this mind, happy flushing…
At Berenz Home Inspections 360° we carefully inspect the interior and exterior of your home. With every home inspection, we inspect and include a wood destroying insect report at no additional charge. I invite you to visit our website to see all the services we cover.
Berenz Home Inspections 360° is New York State licensed and insured. We offer competitive rates, quality service and provide same day reporting. We are proudly serving all of Nassau and Suffolk counties, so call us today to see why we are becoming one of the leading home inspectors on Long Island!!