Happy Thursday! During my home inspections, I have noticed that electrical safety is a common issue. It seems like every day on the news, I read about house fires and I wonder how many of them were electrical related and could have been prevented by simply testing your outlets with a simple $5 outlet tester you can find at your local hardware store? Here are some safety tips I found on the National Fire Protection Association to help keep you and your family safe from electrical fires, as well as, when you should think about calling a licensed electrician.
- Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
- When you are buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified home inspector (Berenz Home Inspections 360°)
- Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
- Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
- Use a light bulb with the right number of watts. There should be a sticker that indicates the right number of watts.
WHEN TO CALL IN A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
- Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
- Discolored or warm wall outlets
- A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Sparks from an outlet
We at Berenz Home Inspections 360° always use state of the art equipment when doing all our home inspections. We are always available to answer any questions and just a phone call away for all your home inspection needs.