A home can be a very dangerous place for a little one if not proper safety precautions are taken. Having a 2 year old myself, I am well aware of all the places and things a toddler can get into. I’ve identified below some safety devices that you can simply install in your home to prevent potential injuries to your ever-so curious and exploring toddler.
1. Use safety latches and locks for cabinets and drawers in kitchens, bathrooms, and other areas to help prevent poisonings and other injuries. Safety latches and locks on cabinets and drawers can help prevent children from gaining access to medicines and household cleaners, as well as knives and other sharp objects.
2. Use safety gates to help prevent falls down stairs and to keep children away from dangerous areas. Look for safety gates that children cannot dislodge easily, but that adults can open and close without difficulty. For the top of stairs, gates that screw into the wall are more secure than “pressure gates.”
3. Use door locks and or covers to help prevent children from entering rooms and other areas with possible dangers, including swimming pools.
To prevent access to swimming pools, door locks on safety gates should be placed high, out of reach of young children. Locks should be used in addition to fences and alarms. Sliding glass doors with locks that must be re-secured after each use are often not an effective barrier to pool access.
4. Use corner and edge bumpers to help prevent injuries from falls against sharp edges of furniture and fireplaces. Corner and edge bumpers can be used with furniture and fireplace hearths to help prevent injuries from falls, and to soften falls against sharp and rough edges. 5. Use receptacle or outlet covers and plates to help prevent children from electrical shock and possible electrocution.
6. Although CORDLESS is BEST, cut window blind cords to help prevent children from strangling in blind-cord loops. Window blind cord safety tassels on miniblinds and tension devices on vertical blinds and drapery cords can help prevent deaths and injuries from strangulation in the loops of cords. Inner cord stops can help prevent strangulation in the inner cords of window blinds.
Berenz Home Inspections 360° is a NYS licensed home inspector. We offer competitive rates, quality service and provide same day reporting. Proudly serving all of Nassau and Suffolk counties, call us today to see why we are becoming one of the leading home inspectors on Long Island!!